I’ve been stuck in a rut recently. There are some things going on in my personal life that have left me feeling unanchored, listless, and unfortunately very uninspired to write or create content. I know I have to make a concerted effort to try, especially because I always feel better after I’ve flexed my creative muscles (even if that means thinking deeply, writing, and NOT posting). Today I decided to post whatever came out, if only to provide you with a little update.
Some GOOD changes are happening! Although…good change is still change, and change can be a source of anxiety when everything else seems to be on shaky ground. Nevertheless, I am framing these changes in a positive light:
- I will be moving this summer! Many of you know that I left my childhood home last year to move downtown with my brother, Travis. Now I’m taking the next step and moving in with Azim! I’m excited, but also sad because I know this is probably the last time I’ll live with Trav. He’s my best friend, and favourite person in the whole universe. Sigh. Am I sappy and weird? Yes. Also, moving sucks.
- With moving in together comes the tentative conversation on what comes next for me and Azim. He wants to go to grad school, and I don’t want to live in Toronto forever. We’re definitely not a traditional couple, so trying to plan the journey ahead has been an adventure in itself.
Also, this isn’t a life change, but my blog has been hacked (in a minor way) and it is a pretty sad situation. This is another reason why I’ve been neglecting it. I really don’t know what to do or where to even start with fixing it. The hack messes with my SEO, which isn’t a big deal since I’m not writing for the masses, but if you google my blog you’ll see the first hits come up in Japanese. Thanks a lot, stupid hacker!
Happy Things I’ve Been Doing Lately:
- Ordering Lavender Sours from the Wickson Social at every opportunity I get. I think this is my favourite EVER cocktail. The lavender flavour is not heady or overpowering at all – it’ just PERFECT, and the texture of the drink is actually silky. The ingredients are: Victoria Gin, Honey, Lemon, Lavender Bitters, Egg White.
The Wickson Social changes up their drink menu pretty regularly, so I will be devastated when this one leaves the roster! That translates to – me going a couple times a week to order one 🙂
- Wearing eye liner and pretending I’m a glamorous Italian actress
- Binging on Call the Midwife – seriously one of my favourite shows to watch while snuggling under blankets and hiding from the world. It’s so cozy, and makes me feel melancholy and happy at the same time.
- Exercising to calm my mind. My old boss, and wonderful friend, has been challenging me to Workweek Hustles on the Fitbit app, and it has been great motivation! I’ve also started more challenging workouts with weights and high intensity interval training, and I think I’m ALMOST at that point where I start to look forward to exercising. I’m definitely not there yet. I’m definitely still at the stage where I have to tell myself “you just bought cute new workout pants, now you HAVE to get your butt moving”. But my relationship with working out is definitely less strained. Me and working out, we’re starting to understand each other now 🙂
- Trying to stay offline as much as possible. Being online is tearing me away from my goals. I can’t finish 40 books this year if I fall down a YouTube rabbit hole. I won’t sign up for sewing lessons if I spend all my time on Buzzfeed. But those quizzes. They’re so fun!
- But I am staying ON snapchat to continue my “streak” with my sweet 12-soon-to-be-13-year-old cousin. She patiently puts up with my strange selfies, and answers all my questions: “What is the point of a streak? Why do you keep drawing S’s? What does happy 100 mean?” Next, I’m going to ask her about fidget spinners. WHAT IS THE POINT. It’s happened friends. I am THAT old person who is way out of touch with what’s cool today.
I have actually been working quite diligently on my goal of reading 40 books this year, and recently finished a few knock-out good ones:
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. This was a little tough to get through, but wholly mesmerizing. I’ve never had a friendship like the one described in this story, but I can relate to every feeling and emotional scenario described. The book seems meant to be read slowly – there are a thousand details to describe even the most insignificant memories of the main character (playing with dolls, performing well on a test in school), but it seems like these memories should only be described in this way. Describing them in any other way would be an injustice. It’s obvious why this book has been talked about so much – I loved it.
Retail Therapy: I’ve made a few additions to my Spring/Summer wardrobe. I’ve fallen in love with Mango’s online store, and recently bought a few scarves during their Memorial Day sale. I also invested in a sweet Little White Dress for summer! I tend to pick up one every other year or so, but the ones in the past have never been as perfect or easy to wear as this one. I absolutely love that it’s the perfect marriage of a shirt dress with a fit-and-flare shape. I also bought some new cat-eye glasses from clearly.ca when they had a sale. These peepers were only $60! And of course, it wouldn’t be a shopping trip without a sparkly pair of kicks. These babies get a few compliments every time I wear them – I literally see girls’ eyes go wide 🙂 I know the feeling!
As always, thanks for reading, and for sticking around. More outfit posts to come soon – I’ll have to show off a couple of my new purchases! xo