Things this week that are making me happy:
- It’s November! Holiday season will soon be upon us!
- Starbucks has red cups and Joy tea (#basic)
- It’s t-shirt weather in Toronto – do you remember the last time it was 20 degrees this late in the year?
Things this week that are making me blue:
- It gets dark at 5:30 PM. I am basically in hibernation mode.
- The last episode of Doctor Who ended on a cliffhanger, and I can’t wait this long to find out what happens to the Doctor and the Zygons!?
So that’s my life. It’s really exciting. On to the post!
My favourite way to shop, is to look at pieces in store and wonder how I can style them differently. One very easy example of this is any item that comes with a belt.
You know those dresses that come with a cheap, skinny plastic belt? Throw on a studded leather one instead! Or summery tunics that come with a string to cinch the waist? Use a braided piece to add dimension. Or in this case:
A belted coat. These are so chic! Normally the belts that come with them are of good quality, since it’s outerwear. But of course, I like to change things up: for this outfit I added a super-wide embroidered belt to alter the entire look. It acts as a statement piece, a bright pop of colour, and it also changes the silhouette of the coat.
I paired it with my staple thigh-high boots to add different textures (suede+leather+wool). And voila! A pretty simple outfit can be easily transformed – it’s all in the details.
Coat – Zara / Belt – from a sample sale / Boots – Victoria’s Secret / Sweater – Banana Republic / Sunnies – Ray Ban