Subscribe for outfit inspiration and tales of adventure

Get the latest and greatest straight to your inbox!

How to wear culottes

How to Wear Culottes

October 23, 2019 6 Comments

First of all, for the uninitiated, what the heck ARE culottes?

Culottes are any garment which “hangs like a skirt, but is actually pants.” So, basically: wide-leg pants that cut off above the ankle. Or a skirt that is split in two. Not to be confused with a skort. Think explaining them is confusing? Try styling them!

How to wear culottes
How to wear culottes

I was hesitant to try culottes when they became trendy again, because they can be incredibly unflattering. I really struggled with finding the right top to pair with them, and also, *gasp*, the right shoes. Yes, I actually had a hard time finding the right footwear for this odd silhouette.

How to wear culottes
How to wear culottes

I eventually figured out that a shorter, structured top works well with the flowiness of the culottes. This navy number is from Aritzia (as are the culottes, but I also found a nice pair at Winners!), and I think the dark hues pair beautifully together.

How to wear culottes

I love wearing culottes with my platform brogues, and feminine ballet flats, but for major impact – nothing beats stilettos.

How to wear culottes

These navy Jimmy Choo’s work well to complement the navy top, and the pop of red from my earrings keeps the outfit interesting.

How to wear culottes

A little animal print keeps the relatively simple look from becoming too basic.

And that’s it! The perfect outfit to wear from meetings to date night 🙂

jocelyncaithness

All posts

6 Comments

• lillian October 23, 2019 at 7:30 am

Beautiful combination.

• Laura October 23, 2019 at 7:59 am

So gorgeous! I need these navy Jimmy Choo’s in my life!! I have a few pairs of Cultottes and find them super comfortable and flattering – even with just a blouse tucked in 🙂

• jocelyncaithness October 23, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Because you have long beautiful legs and can pull off anything!! xox

• Linda October 23, 2019 at 8:13 am

I still love that bag! <3

• jocelyncaithness October 23, 2019 at 8:02 pm

I think of you whenever I wear it!!

• Belted Sweater – Jocelyn Caithness November 12, 2019 at 10:18 pm

[…] pairing this sweater with a belt BAG it works to create that nipped in waist – the culottes also add volume to the bottom half, to accentuate the waist even […]